Software Engineer, Full-Stack
BASc, Computer EngineeringUniversity of TorontoSept 2005 - Nov 20104 years (worked 1 year)
- Dean’s Honor List 2005-2007, Ranked 4th out of 130 students (2005-2006) in CGPA.
- Focus: Software, Networks, Business & Entrepreneurship
- Received the Entrepreneurship, Innovation, and Small Business Management Certificate.
Don't ask people what they do, ask what they're building.
Software EngineerContractDispatcherTrucking.com Long-haul trucking at the touch of a button, San Francisco, CAMay 2015 - present1+ years
- Built an automated bidder for live auctions, a browser-based call-centre and email client (Twilio/Mailgun/Pusher), realtime upgrades to an AngularJS app (Pusher/Firebase), website crawlers, email account creation (PhantomJS/ContextIO/ChromeExt)
- Tech Stack: AngularJS/Mongo/NodeJS/RabbitMQ/Pusher/Firebase/CircleCI/AWS/Splunk/Sentry/PagerDuty
Software EngineerContractAmazon.com Local Register › Subscribe And Save, Seattle, WAApr 2014 - March 20151 year
- Helped launch a revamped Subscribe And Save experience, plus international tablet expansion.
- Helped launch a product for merchants to accept credit card payments on their mobile device.
- Tech Stack: Java/JSP/Mason/Perl/BackboneJS/Handlebars/SCSS/Java/Objective-C
Co-FounderLookFlix.com Social Shopping, 3 Co-Founders, Boston, MAJun 2012 - May 20131 year
- Finalists in the MassChallenge startup accelerator in Boston and selected into Microsoft BizSpark One.
- Responsibilities: Team, Vision, Product, Strategy, Front-end Dev, Design, PR
- Tech Stack: CoffeeScript/BackboneJS/Zepto/HBS/Haml/SaSS/CSS3/ROR3/Azure/C#.Net/PostgreSQL/GIT
- A touch-based clothing discovery app built with BackboneJS/Rails/C#/.net; served in FB and as an ecommerce site widget.
FounderLaborific.com Development Shop & Idea Incubator, Toronto, ONMay '12 - Aug '12, Jun '13 - Mar '141 year
- Accepted into a Toronto startup accelerator for GamifySports: second screen experiences for live sports.
- It's a product umbrella and development shop for web apps, inspired by ZURB and MILK, a startup incubator.
- Built Digits.me, MyQuadoo.com, PassBox for DropBox, BehindTheDiamond.com.
- Tech Stack: CoffeeScript/BackboneJS/ROR3/PHP/NodeJS/SequelizeJS/Socket.IO/MongoDB/Heroku/GIT
- Most apps built with BackboneJS/Zepto/Rails/Haml/Sass, such as MyQuadoo.com and Passbox.
- Built a mobile UX framework on top BackboneJS.
Lead Web App DeveloperContract, Project-basisEventMobi.com Mobile Apps for Events, Toronto, ONDec 2011 - Apr 20124 months
- Built their flagship HTML5 app, at the time the #1 Event App, serving 3+ Million attendees in 25 countries.
- Tech Stack: CoffeeScript/BackboneJS/HBS/Ruby/PHP
- App was built with BackboneJS and functions both online and offline.
Co-FounderVertex.IO Making Mobile Development Easy, 4 Co-Founders, Toronto, ONJun 2011 - Oct 20115 months
- Making mobile HTML5 app development easy with a PaaS to provide both hosting and data services.
- Tech Stack: NodeJS/Jade/CouchDB/Cloud9IDE-Integration
- The goal was to make mobile web app development easy enough for designers to do.
- App built with NodeJS, CouchDB, and integrated with Cloud9 IDE.
Lead Software DeveloperContract, Month-to-monthMoso.com Social Platform For Innovation, ~6 Employee Startup, Toronto, ONDec 2010 - Feb 20112 months
- Contracted to lead development for a startup on a project basis to create their initial developments.
- Prototyped several products using ROR, Sammy, jQuery Mobile, Sencha Touch.
- Worked with Ruby on Rails, social APIs, jQuery, Sammy, jQuery mobile, and Sencha touch.
Software DeveloperContract, 16-monthsCamilion Solutions (Now part of SAP) Insurance Software, ~200 Employees, Richmond Hill, ONMay 2008 - Aug 200916 months
- Architected a new UI for an existing product in Ext JS/J2EE/Spring and supported teams as the Ext Expert.
- Experienced the life cycles of two product releases (including formal QA); and a new product prototype.
Lead Software DeveloperPart-time/Full-timeVengeo.com E-publishing, ~20 Employee Startup, Toronto, ONMay 2005 - May 20083 years
- Rewrote various features of a C#/.Net desktop application and a JS app.
Owner and Web DeveloperArwid.ca (Formerly)Jun 2006 - Mar 20115 years
- Web development for small businesses and some larger brands such as Perimeter Financial, HD Supply, Ducati & Lamborghini.
- NewhouseConnect, Mar 2011 - ROR3, PHP5, HTML5, and CSS3. Designed by Normative Design.
- Ernescliff College, 2008 - Dynamic flash website and custom CMS
- Living Spanish, 2007 - Created a copycat of freshbooks.com with organization management.
- RegisterIt, May 2007-Aug 2007, Contract - Perimeter Financial, HD Supply, Ducati & Lamborghini Toronto.
- Living Spanish, 2005 - Dynamic Flash website
Programming Contest - Placed FirstOBEA Computer Programming Contest 2005 (Province of Ontario)Oct 2004 - Apr 20058 months
- Java Chess game in last year of high school. Learned and applied principals behind AI, optimizing AIs, threading, and LAN communication.
- Available at sourceforge.net/projects/aichess, github.com/Arwid/chess, and atsoftpedia.com. 95 source files, 15,000+ lines of code.
- Created an interactive chess game in Java along with an applet, with computer AIs and online matchup.
- Coded consistently for 8 months, in addition to secondary school studies, and prepared technical & user docs.
- Learned binary trees, principals behind AI, optimizing AI algorithms, threading, and LAN communication.
Community InvolvementOpen Source at github.com/arwidOct 2006 - Present
- Notables Contributions: Promise-cache-throttle, Promise-timer, jQuery.scrollIntoView, JSON_Minifier, jQuery.Page, jQuery.ui.animSortable.
- Founding member of EPIC student conference, CUTC Ambassador, PEO Webmaster.
- Regularly attend tech events and conferences, and partipated in 6+ startup weekend hackathons.
- Final Design Project, 2010
Worked on enhancing an existing software; a distributed Publish/Subscribe middleware designed for large-scale event management applications. Replaced the existing message creation mechanism with JavaCC parsers to allow the software to accept industrial-standard communication protocols such as XML, JSON, and YAML.
- Web Project (TagIT), ECE450, 2010
- HTTP Server Design Project, ECE299, 2007
Lead a team of three to create an object-oriented HTTP web server in C++. Implemented multi-threading, server clustering, log files, graceful server shutdown, and various features for protocol processing such as virtual web hosting, automatic pathname expansion, and dynamic content handling.
- Digital Systems Project (3D Objects), ECE983/241, 2006
One of the top projects in the class of 290 and one of only two projects implementing 3D graphics. Created a 3D system in hardware (Verilog & Schematics) that displays a transformable 3D object. Learned Verilog beyond scope of course and did personal research in 3D graphics theory. Implemented line drawing algorithms & trigonometric computation in hardware.
- Assembly Project, ECE243, 2007
Coded a memory game in 68k Assembly using a hex keypad user-interface, microphone and speakers.
- Communication Device, ECE298, 2006
Enabled communication between two devices by transmitting various laser beam frequencies.
- Final Design Project, 2010
- Entrepreneurship, Innovation, and Small Business Management Certificate, University of Toronto, 2008
- Top Digital Systems Project (3D Objects) 2006, University of Toronto
- Dean’s Honour List, University of Toronto, 2005-2007
- Finalist in Bridge Design Runoff, University of Toronto, 2005
- First place, OBEA Computer Programming Contest, 2005
- Computer Science Award, Michael Power St. Joseph, 2005